The Best Teeth Cleaning From Your Austin Dentist
You may be surprised to learn that even the most vigorous at-home dental care routine isn’t enough to keep your smile healthy. For a truly strong and lasting smile, you need to keep with regular professional dental cleanings.
At Michelle Hedgecock Cosmetic & General Dentistry, Austin general dentist, Dr. Michelle Hedgecock provides dental cleanings tailored to your unique dental health needs. Schedule your routine dental cleaning by dialing (512) 501-2385 to learn more.
What Are Dental Cleanings?
Dental cleanings are professional procedures aimed at removing plaque, tartar, and stains from teeth. It’s a comprehensive process performed by a dental hygienist or dentist and is crucial in preventing and treating tooth decay, and gum disease, and maintaining overall oral hygiene.
Types of Professional Dental Cleanings
Dr. Hedgecock will recommend the most suitable dental cleaning based on your specific oral health condition.
Routine Dental Cleanings
The most common type of cleaning is the routine dental cleaning, ideal for those with good oral health. During this process, our dentist or dental hygienist removes plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth. This typically takes about an hour and is advised twice a year as part of regular dental care.
Scaling and Root Planing
For individuals with moderate to severe gum disease, scaling and root planing, or deep cleanings, are recommended. This treatment involves removing plaque and tartar buildup from below the gum line and smoothing the tooth roots to prevent future buildup. In many cases, one or two sessions of scaling and root planing can reverse the effects of gum disease and prevent further progression.
After scaling and root planing, periodontal maintenance is crucial to sustaining gum health. Our dentist will eliminate any plaque and tartar that has accumulated since your last deep cleaning. Typically, this type of cleaning is scheduled every three to four months for patients dealing with gum disease.
Gross debridement cleaning is different from standard dental cleanings. It’s performed when excessive plaque and tartar buildup hinder a comprehensive oral examination. This cleaning is necessary to address the extensive buildup, often seen in cases where swollen gums or excessive plaque prevent a thorough examination or regular prophylaxis.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
Teeth cleanings are a necessary part of your oral health for many reasons. Some of the benefits of routine dental cleanings include:
- Prevents Tooth Decay and Gum Disease: Regular cleanings help remove plaque and tartar, crucial in preventing cavities and gum issues.
- Early Detection of Oral Issues: Cleanings are accompanied by thorough examinations, enabling Dr. Hedgecock to spot potential problems early, facilitating timely intervention.
- Fresh Breath and a Brighter Smile: Eliminating stains and bacteria helps maintain fresh breath and a brighter, cleaner smile.
- Prevents Tooth Loss: By addressing issues early, cleanings play a role in reducing the risk of tooth loss due to decay or gum disease.
- Improves Overall Health: Good oral health contributes to better overall health by reducing the risk of systemic diseases like heart disease or diabetes.
- Gum Disease Treatment: Certain cleanings, such as root planing and scaling, are essential in removing plaque and tartar from deep beneath the gums, where they can contribute to the exacerbation of gum disease.
Preparing for Your Dental Cleaning
Preparing for a dental cleaning involves a few simple steps:
- Update Your Health Records: Be ready to provide any changes in your health history, including medications or recent health issues.
- Inform Your Dentist: Share any concerns or dental issues you might be experiencing to ensure they are addressed during the cleaning.
- Clean Your Teeth: While it might seem counterintuitive, brushing and flossing your teeth before the appointment helps make the cleaning process more efficient.
- Relax: Dental cleanings are routine and not usually painful. Stay calm, and remember you’re taking steps toward better oral health.
The Dental Cleaning Process
Plaque and Tartar Removal
The dental cleaning process begins with the removal of plaque and tartar by a dental hygienist or dentist. Plaque, a bacterial film on the teeth, is removed using specialized tools. Tartar, or calculus, a hardened form of plaque, is meticulously eliminated from the teeth and gum line. The intensity and thoroughness of this phase can vary based on the type of cleaning you’re undergoing.
Following the plaque and tartar removal, your teeth undergo polishing using a mildly abrasive paste. This polishing procedure targets surface stains and smoothens tooth surfaces, promoting a brighter and healthier smile.
As an integral part of the cleaning, a comprehensive dental examination of the mouth, gums, and teeth is conducted by our Austin dental professionals. This thorough examination allows for the identification of potential dental issues or areas that require further attention, enabling timely treatment.
In some instances, a fluoride treatment is administered to the teeth. Fluoride helps in the prevention of cavities by fortifying tooth enamel, safeguarding teeth from decay, and enhancing overall dental health.
Frequently Asked Questions
A dental cleaning removes surface stains, which can improve the overall appearance of your teeth. However, for deep or intrinsic discoloration, professional whitening treatments might be recommended.
Dental cleanings are typically covered by dental insurance. However, coverage specifics can vary based on your plan. It’s advisable to check with your insurance provider to understand the extent of coverage.
Dental professionals typically recommend a cleaning every six months. However, some individuals with specific oral health needs may require more frequent cleanings. Your dentist can advise you on the ideal frequency.
Dental cleanings aren’t generally painful. However, if you experience discomfort or sensitivity, let your hygienist or dentist know. They can adjust the procedure to make it more comfortable.
In Need of Professional Dental Cleaning? Call Our Austin Dental Office Today!
Maintain and revitalize your smile with professional dental cleanings at Dr. Hedgecock’s Austin office. Dial (512) 501-2385 or click the button below to schedule your comprehensive dental cleaning today and experience the unmatched benefits of a radiant and healthy smile. Find out more about our exceptional care, and take the first step towards a sparkling, confident smile. We’re here to help patients from Austin and surrounding areas such as Elgin, Leander, and Sunset Valley, TX keep their smiles healthy for years to come.